Monday, February 23, 2009

TED: Ideas Worth Spreading

The Rotary Club of Briarcliff's blog on Chinese food led me to TED: a website devoted to spreading ideas. It's a wonderful source of talks (most about 20 minutes long), that have been given at the TED conferences that were originally focused on Technology, Entertainment, and Design, but have broadened out since their first conference in 1984. They range from light and entertaining to very thought-provoking (and often are both), and are free.

My finding and exploring the site reflect a few of the points I've made in my blog entries so far. First, I found it by following someone's blog entry. Responding to my FaceBook status saying I was exploring TED, a FB friend endorsed the site, saying it's wonderful (and suggesting other sites for me to check out as well). The hundreds of content-filled videos at TED are examples of Information Overload, but at least the ideas have been assessed (the conference organizers and TED's Brain Trust invite the speakers). Still, there are so many interesting sounding presentations (available both through the Internet and for my iPhone), that going through them will take a lot of time. I'm trying to play the talks I've selected in the background, replacing TV, while I'm working on other things (multitasking). I'll share specific items that I find interesting that are related to my own thoughts; doing so may help others sift through the talks and encourage them to do likewise.

So here's the first talk I'll share. It's one directly related to The Tyranny of the Either/Or - more pointedly, the difference between liberals and conservatives (I call them "tribes"; Haidt calls them "teams"). It's a surprisingly moderate talk (both/and), since was given at a TED conference (expectedly - and empirically - attended mainly by liberal thinkers), and presents the developed moral psychology differences between them. Among its conclusions, as K.S. commented in my blog: We need to be open to both black and white thinking. Here's a link to the talk on the TED site in case the embedded video doesn't work for you.


1 comment:

  1. I am for a dialetical view of the world: Everything is the Unity of Opposites. Without the conservatives, the liberals do not exist. Without Yin, Yang does not exist, or vice versa. Our life is like the red mark on the TED video above, moving from the starting point on the left to the ending point on the right.

    ReplyDelete